General FAQs of Heart Transplant
If you are suffering from the following heart diseases:
- Cardiomyopathy or weakening of the heart muscle
- CAD or coronary artery disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Heart valve disease
- Valvular diseases like rheumatic fever, or rheumatic heart diseases
- Dangerous recurring abnormal heart rhythms (ventricular arrhythmias)
- Failure of a previous Heart Transplant
In India: 2 months
In Hospital: 1 month
Donor heart can come only from a deceased donor who was healthy and disease free before death. This may take several months to wait for the right donor who is compatible with the recipient.
- Healthy heart
- Heart size
- Blood group
Yes it does.
It depends on the availability of donor.
Yes you can but before that you need to take consultations from your Heart Transplant specialist.
Yes, in addition to immune suppressants you will be given other transplant medicines by your Heart Transplant specialist to lead a healthy life.
- A successful Heart Transplant surgery increases the survival of the patient. The patients of heart failure cannot live longer, but after Heart Transplant the survival rate increases with an average five year survival of about 50%-60% and one year survival of about 85%-90%.
- The first year is crucial as surgical complications, organ rejection or infection may occur.
- Patient is advised to take various medications as prescribed to prevent rejection of donor heart.
- Regular check-up with doctor is must to evaluate the heart functioning and stay healthy.
- Improved heart function and blood flow
- Increased chances of survival
- Adds years to the life of sufferer
- Heart Transplant recipients lead active and productive lives
- Very less or no limitations on physical activity
- Improved quality of life of the person
- Allows activities like cycling, swimming, running, and other sports
- About 85% of Heart Transplant recipients return to work or other activities they previously enjoyed.
- Patient is kept on breathing machine for at least 6 to 8 hours after transplant
- There will be a catheter in the bladder of recipient for few days
- Patient is given IV feeding for few days
- Patient can move around within a few days after surgery
- If everything goes well, recipient can go home in about one week after the surgery
- Patient is required to undergo regular biopsy of heart tissue to evaluate any chances of organ rejection
- Physical and occupational therapists work with patient to build up strength and stamina.
You can see the changes in your body and skin. You may feel better than before!
The cost of a heart Transplant estimates 50,000-80,000 USD.