General FAQs of Laparoscopic Gastric Banding Surgery
The person who is having BMI over 40 is a good candidate for Laparoscopic Gastric Banding Surgery.
Toggle ContentNumber of days in India: 10
Number of days in Hospital: 2-5
- Limiting the food intake as the new and small stomach can hold a limited amount of food only.
- Absorption of calories and nutrients should be limited.
- Altering the gut hormones in such a way that the person feels full for longer duration.
- The procedure is quick and takes less than an hour.
- Laparoscopic procedures performed as day care procedures and night stay is not required in the hospital.
- People with desk jobs can return to work as early as 1-2 days.
- There is negligible blood loss with laparoscopic procedures.
- The incisions are tiny and almost invisible.
- The patient is shifted to the post-operative room soon after the surgery for a few hours to monitor any abnormal signs and symptoms.
- Soon after the surgery, the patient is given medications for pain relief and antibiotics to prevent infection.
- A catheter is placed into the stomach through the nose to drain fluids from the intestine for the first 1 or 2 days.
- Also, there will be a catheter in the bladder to remove urine.
- Ambulation is encouraged soon after the surgery.
- The patient is not allowed to eat for the first 1 or 2 days to enable the healing of the stomach and intestine.
After three days, a specific diet will be given to you for 12 weeks that start with liquids and then pureed or soft foods are slowly given to the patient.
- The patient wears special stockings on legs to prevent the formation of blood clots.
- Reflux Disease
- Heart disease
- Severe sleep apnea
- Laparoscopic Gastric Banding can provide long-term aid in weight loss if the patient follows dietary and lifestyle advises given by the surgeon.
- Average weight loss has been reported to be between 40 to 60%, but this depends upon how much the patient follows the surgeon’s advice and makes significant changes in his eating habits and lifestyle.
After laparoscopic gastric banding, your cosmetologist and dietician will prescribe you medicines and a healthy diet to follow, which can lead you to live healthy even after the surgery.
The laparoscopic gastric banding cost factors are:
- BMI check
- Different tests
- Type of weight loss
- Hospital charges
- Treatment hospital
- Follow-up procedures